Immigration advice is heavily regulated. This means that neither Seema nor her office can provide immigration advice. This page is intended to signpost constituents in need of immigration advice to organisations providing free or non-profit advice. The information is primarily sourced from the House of Common Library’s August 2021 briefing on immigration casework.
- Ealing Law Centre is an award-winning law centre providing specialist legal advice and representation to those in the Borough of Ealing and beyond, with legal aid contracts in Housing and Immigration and grant funding to provide assistance in some areas of housing, immigration and welfare benefits work.
- Hounslow Law Centre provides free legal service in the main social welfare areas of law. Visit them at 51 Lampton Road, Hounslow, TW3 1LY or call them at 020 8570 9505.
- Hounslow Asian Community Advice can provide advice on welfare rights, housing, employment, domestic violence, immigration and nationality, debt, taxes, and family and relationships, as well as other issues. They can offer advice in Gujarati (ગુજરાતી), Hindi (हिन्दी), Punjabi (پنجابی ), Somali (اَف صومالي) and Urdu (اُردُو). You can find them at Hounslow Advice Centre, 45 Treaty Centre, Hounslow TW3 1ES.
Hillingdon Law Centre is an independent legal advice charity whose main objectives are to provide quality advice and representation to poor, vulnerable and excluded members of society.
- West London Equality Centre provide free legal advice and advocacy in both generalist and specialist areas in conjunction with the Community Advice Programme (CAP) and retain the pro-bono services of both solicitors and qualified barristers in providing legal advice.
- Asylum Aid provides legal aid advice and representation to asylum seekers and refugees in the UK.
- Asylum Support Appeals Project provides free legal advice and representation to asylum seekers appealing against a refusal of asylum financial and/or accommodation support, runs an advice line for advice agencies, and engages in policy work to improve asylum support law.
- The Anti Trafficking and Labour Exploitation Unit is a charity providing legal advice and support to survivors of trafficking and slavery.
- The British Red Cross provides various types of support to refugees and asylum seekers in the UK including emergency assistance to those who are destitute, and family reunion and resettlement services.
- Jesuit Refugee Service UK provides some services for destitute asylum seekers and outreach services in some Immigration Removal Centres.
- Migrant Help runs a free 24/7 helpline providing independent advice and support to asylum seekers in in the UK their own language. It also offers face-to-face advice in some instances and outreach services for vulnerable clients.
- Refugee Action is a national charity providing advice and support to asylum seekers in the UK.
- The Refugee Council is a national charity with offices across the UK. It provides practical advice and assistance to asylum seekers and refugees and undertakes policy and campaigning work. It operates telephone advice lines on asylum support and the asylum process. Its website has advice leaflets on a range of asylum-related topics, translated into many different languages, as well as briefings, campaigns and policy papers.
- The Advice on Individual Rights in Europe Centre is a charity that provides information, free legal advice and representation on individuals’ rights under European human rights law and European Union law, such as free movement rights and the European Convention on Human Rights.
- Kalayaan is a charity that offers free basic immigration and employment advice to migrant domestic workers in the UK. It also provides other services, including English language classes, and campaigns for migrant domestic workers’ rights.
- UK Council for International Student Affairs represents the interests of international students and those who work with them. Its website includes a range of useful information guides for international students about their rights and entitlements in the UK, including immigration and visa requirements. It also operates a student advice line.
- Your Europe Advice is an online advice service on EU rights, currently provided by legal experts from the European Citizen Action Service operating under contract with the European Commission. It provides advice in all official EU languages.
Asylum, immigration or nationality
- Advicenow is an independent, not-for-profit website, run by the charity Law for Life. It provides practical information on rights and the law in England and Wales relating to various topics, including asylum, immigration and nationality.
- Bail for Immigration Detainees is a charity that works with asylum seekers and migrants in removal centres and prisons to secure their release from detention. It provides free information, assistance, and representation in some cases to immigration detainees who wish to apply for release from immigration detention. Its website contains practical information for immigration detainees and advisors, as well as research and policy publications.
- Coram Children’s Legal Centre provides legal aid advice and assistance on asylum and immigration matters, as well as free legal advice on children’s nationality and citizenship issues. Its Migrant Children’s Project provides free advice and legal representation concerning the rights of migrant children and young people, whether they are unaccompanied or in families in the UK. It also undertakes policy and lobbying activities.
- Detention Action provides support to immigration detainees in Harmondsworth, Colnbrook and Morton Hall Immigration Removal Centres and persons held under immigration powers in London prisons. It also campaigns against indefinite immigration detention.
- Immigration Law Practitioners’ Association does not provide immigration advice, but has a list of members who do.
- Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants provides legal advice and assistance to individuals, as well as training and campaigns on immigration, asylum and nationality matters. It operates a free advice line for undocumented migrants and takes on other cases under legal aid or as private fee-paying clients.
- Afghan Pro Bono Initiative is able to assist a) family reunification cases with a family member in the UK; and b) ARAP applications where the applicant is in Afghanistan or the surrounding region.
EU nationals living in the UK
- Here for Good provides free immigration advice to EU, EEA and Swiss nationals and their family members living in the UK.
- Settled provides free information, advice and support in different languages to EU citizens in the UK. This includes a telephone adviceline, online forums, community events and in-person advice.
- The 3 million is a campaign organisation representing EU citizens in the UK. The ‘help’ section of its website contains practical information about settled status and the rights of EU citizens post-Brexit.