Support for those facing eviction
If you are a private tenant facing eviction or repossession you should contact Hounslow Council on 0208 583 2888 as soon as you can. Once you have been in touch, the Council will:
- Assess whether the property is suitable for the tenant to remain in;
- Contact landlords to understand their reasons for eviction;
- Assess each case individually and utilise any discretionary funds that may be available if the issue leading to eviction is rent arrears or the landlord wanting a rent increase;
- Try to negotiate with landlords to see if they will agree to offer a further fixed term tenancy to the tenant, often in exchange for an incentive payment;
- Even if a landlord has obtained a Court Order for Possession and a Bailiff’s Warrant, the Council can (and have) successfully negotiate with the landlord for them to withdraw the Bailiff’s Warrant.
For anyone facing homelessness, the earlier they contact Hounslow Council the better as it improves any opportunities there may be to prevent homelessness.