Support for British Nationals Abroad
British Citizens stranded in Afghanistan
There is a consular team managing the Afghanistan situation – please send any emails or queries to: email@example.com – This inbox is monitored around the clock and they said they would respond to information sent there.
In addition, for people who are currently in Afghanistan, they should call the British Embassy Kabul on +93 (0) 700 102 000 or +44 (0)1908 516666 and select the option “Consular services for British nationals” as soon as possible.
I have been contacted by many constituents stranded abroad in countries ranging from India and Pakistan to Australia and the Philippines.
This is an already incredibly difficult time so I cannot imagine the additional anxiety people are feeling who are unable to return home from overseas. My team and I have been making representations to the Foreign Secretary and the Foreign Office to provide support for constituents who wish to urgently return to the UK. I also wrote a letter to the Prime Minister urging him to work with the Indian Government to ensure the safe return of British Citizens stranded in India.
If you are stranded in India, please click here for the latest advice from the FCO about returning to the UK.
You can also read the latest travel advice from the FCO below and find out more information here.
If you’re abroad and you want to return to the UK
Our travel advice has changed. If you are usually based in the UK, you should return to the UK now, if flights are still available.
How to return
- contact your airline, travel company or transport provider as soon as possible to book your travel
- if you have travel insurance, you should also contact your insurance company
- consider a range of options: you may need to travel to another country to get back to the UK. Check travel advice pagesfor the latest information on any travel restrictions that could affect your travel plans
- keep up-to-date with our travel advice, and in particular the ‘Return to the UK’ guidance for each country. Sign-up to email alerts to be notified if the situation changes
- check our social media accountsfor where you are
Be prepared that your plans may need to change at short notice.
If you cannot return
The government is in contact with airlines, foreign governments and local authorities to ensure British people travelling abroad can return to the UK as soon as possible. If you’re unable to leave at this time, you should:
- follow the advice of local authorities, including local measures to help minimise your risk of exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19)
- find accommodation that’s suitable for your needs
- keep up-to-date with our travel advice and the latest information from transport providers and local authorities on your departure options
- keep in regular contact with family and friends at home, so they know you are safe and well
You must follow the advice of local authorities. Your safety and security is the responsibility of the local authority where you are.